View Single Post
Old 10-30-2014, 08:51 AM   #2
san rensho

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Black Box View Post
Help!

I was driving home one evening and noted that my 2002 Boxster S with Tiptronic was a running a bit rough. Not thinking much about it, I finished my journey and exited the interstate where CEL and low oil pressure light suddenly illuminated. Knowing I had but 2 miles to go, I decided to press on home. As I pulled away from the stoplight the car turned into a mosquito sprayer. The poor folks behind me were treated to one heck of a smoke screen. Crap! AOS failure! I limped the car home and parked it.

Thanks to the folks at Pelican I was able to order a new AOS and proceeded to replace the unit. At the same time I changed out the spark plugs and noted that all were oil fouled. With new plugs in place, and a fresh oil change I started the beast back up.

I now have a consistent ticking noise from the engine that has the sound of lifter ticking. Further, the oil pressure light is solidly illuminated and I was throwing a P1325 code

The car appears to run ok and does not appear to be lacking for power (just drove it for a quick run around the block). Could the AOS failure have resulted in damaged lifters, or vario cam issues? I don't want to pull the motor or access the cams if I can avoid it.

Any help or advice would be appreciated
Doesn't sound good. You likely damaged the motor by running it with low oil pressure. Since the oil pressure light is still on DO NOT EVEN START THE CAR. Oil pressure light means turn the motor off right now!

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000