View Single Post
Old 10-23-2014, 09:47 AM   #18
flaps10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmulus View Post
snip
I can picture a design review of the M96 engine at Porsche. (Cue dream sequence.) There are a bunch of engineers, accountants and management sitting around a big table when a young engineer claims he can solve the IMS oiling issues and save $10/engine by fitting a roller bearing instead of having to do the machining to get an oil feed gallery to the bearing. The bearing company says it will work with data to back it up, the bean counters loved it, and the old, experienced engineers protested saying it wouldn't work (but had no data to support their claim - yet) and eventually walked out of the meeting. Management says it is a no brainer. Do it! The young engineer was a hero! For about six months...
I'm often amused when people blame the engineers for poor decisions.

I work for a company that produces products of complexity that make anything Porsche has produced seem like a chinese tricycle. I can assure you that all such poor decision are made by upper management, and that an eager young engineer would be told to sit down and STFU until spoken to (or promoted to manager )

Everything I design has to "buy its way" on to the vehicle, and even then a positive business cases are often shelved.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote