View Single Post
Old 04-04-2006, 01:52 PM   #3
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff740
Im new to this whole porsche thing having just purchased my 2001 boxster a few months ago. I would like to purchase an oil filter, cabin filter, and new engine air filter as part of getting the car ready for spring. I have priced the parts out at porsche but I have also looked on ebay where the prices appear very tempting for after-market stuff. It seems like "Mahle" brand parts keep popping up and some of the ads are claiming that they are OEM....just wondering who does make these filters for Porsche and is this aftermarket stuff worth getting. Additionally, if anyone could comment on aftermarket brake pads and rotors and whether or not this stuff is any good as well.

Thanks in advance for the info!

Jeff.
Hi,

Mahle is the OEM supplier to Porsche. Bosch and Meyle make most of the electrical/switch components, etc. Others are Audi, Sandia, Beru, etc.

There is no Hard and Fast rule on OEM vs AfterMarket. On some things, AfterMarket is just fine and usually less $$$. But, OEM Parts (from a Dealer) generally carry a two year warrantee (but costs more $$) against defects. Sometimes (such as Drivetrain, suspension parts) this is good insurance. On other items, it's not so important - how many defective Brake Pads, or Washer Fluid, Wiper Blades, Bulbs, etc. have you heard of?

Also, there's AfterMarket and there's AfterMarket. Brake Pads from Mintex, Porterfield or other recognized manufacturers such as Bilstein, Wilwood, Dansk and others have their own Quality Control standards, but maybe not so for Joe's Brake Pads - one to be avoided.

Sometimes it can bring headaches larger than the savings, but it makes sense to save a buck where you can, and only buy OEM where this is important. This is especially true when you factor in the Car's naturally high depreciation. You only know by asking and researching. And again, this universe is evolving, new AfterMarket manufacturers and products are being offered all the time, some good, some not worth your time. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote