View Single Post
Old 10-19-2014, 06:55 PM   #1
Retroman1969

Thinking of using a Boxster as a "hyper" daily driver.

My car is part of my work and I typically put 2,500+ miles per month on it. That's a lot of wear and tear. I've had my '99 Boxster for nearly two years now and it has been an excellent car. I drove it on the job for the first 6 months I owned it. But when I got it completely refurbished after a hail storm (it was left out at the shop overnight while getting some routine maintenance), I relegated it to weekend fun duty and bought a 2000 Jeep Wrangler for work.
The Wrangler, though a good, tough, versatile vehicle, has started to wear on me in the day to day grind. Clunky, noisy, slow, and average 16 mpg....
My weekend time with the Box is such a joy that I'm thinking about finding another one for a fairly inexpensive price that's not cosmetically perfect, but passes a PPI mechanically/functionally. Then, doing the clutch/RMS/IMS conversion before pressing it into service as my work car.
I realize I'd have to have it checked out regularly and take care of whatever it needs as I go along, but think it might be worth it for the extra driving pleasure.
So am I nuts? Can a Boxster hold up to such mileage?
And you higher mileage guys, what are some things I can expect to have to keep an extra eye on and replace on a regular basis.

Not yet committed to this idea, but it's tempting.
Thanks in advance!