View Single Post
Old 04-03-2006, 03:13 PM   #8
shumphries

Back in 2001 I was soooo close to pulling the trigger

on an '01 M Roadster before ever driving a Porsche. I had a abolute blast on the test drive -- it was fast, to be sure. Felt like a rocket sled. "M" was so cool. Only down side was I didn't think much of the interior and the trunk space was smaller than my Miata's at the time. I blew that small stuff off.

Decided I had to drive the Boxster to round out the field (S2000, TT etc.--they weren't contenders), and slipped into Momentum in Houston just before they closed one evening. Salesman gave me the keys, and the wife and I never looked back. After about 20 minutes, got back, did some piss-poor negotiating (being a tough guy while you're drooling really doesn't work), and bought it that night. The feel was so different from the BMW, there was no comparison. I knew it wasn't a match for the M's speed, but surprisingly (to me) I could not have cared less. I now believe that the guys at C&D may not be making it up when they weight their comparisons relatively heavily based on a "fun to drive" category.

That night, I called my brother to tell him. He wasn't surprised--he reminded me that since I was about 15 I'd sworn I'd have a Porsche by the time I was 30. (That's the C&D "gotta have it" category.) Anyway, I was 31, but that didn't wipe the grin off my face.

BTW, great post SD987.
AutoTop & Silver Front Crest
Houston, Texas
shumphries is offline   Reply With Quote