View Single Post
Old 10-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #44
BruceH

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by holtzy822 View Post
I have a cessna 150, 900 hours since overhaul and so i have 1100 before it needs to be overhauled. And my operating cost is 50 a month for insurance and tie downs and 15 an hour for maintenance with overhaul factored in. Put 25 on top of that for fuel (4-6 GPH at 5.10 a gallon) and its 40 per hour to fly. Beats 80 per hour for a 150 at a flight school. I don't know why I'm even explaining this to you, I know exactly how much I spend and how much it costs to rent an airplane.

And I sold it because I had a buyer lined up and my dads gone for the next 3 months so I get to drive his Audi wherever I need. I'm sure I can find a car in 3 months.

And no. You dont need to fly 100 hours a year (which I do anyways) to make it equal to a flight school. Partner up with someone and its cheaper than renting a cub at a FS
Yes, this is the best/cheapest way to build to build time. Good for you. When I was getting my ratings and building time, I was paying $12/hour dry for a 150 as part of a flying club, also a good way to go. With fuel it was around $18/hour total. Good luck, the future is bright for a young guy/gal in aviation since most of us old guys will be retiring in the next 10 to 15 years
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote