View Single Post
Old 10-10-2014, 03:00 PM   #18
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Good arguement for spending the extra $900. If it's top up weather the hardtop goes on. What is interesting is with the hardtop on the positive comments I get from people on the car easily triples compared to when the top is down. I doubt that a glass window is going to elicit the same type of response. I'd rather spend the dollars (unfortunately I'm not Mr. Moneybags) on interior upgrades or respraying the front bumper to get rid of paint chips.
well that's another good reason to go with a new top (with the glass). You may be doing this all over again once something other than the plastic window starts to let go. For instance the canvas on my top right below the plastic window started to fray very quickly after it was re-installed and I suspect it contributed to some wiring under/behind the seat getting water-damaged requiring about $1K in shop time to figure out and repair..
Cosmetic stuff in the interior is nice but the you need a top that's going to keep the interior well guarded.
I would shop around for a better quote. Check Rennlist or Flat6 forums for installers.
$1350 (labor and new top) if I'm reading correctly, seems to be about the right ball park. Under $1200 is considered low. Over $1400 seems steep.

p.s.
I would get that front bumper painted before doing the top. I had a previous car where I did the reverse and noticed that the threading on the replacement top looked a little weird after being in the bake oven.
But you have a hardtop so maybe moot.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 10-10-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote