View Single Post
Old 04-02-2006, 05:54 PM   #8
PorscheDoc

The 944 turbo came stock at 217hp, or about 185-190whp. The 2.5L boxster put down 160 or so to the rear wheels. The 944NA on the other hand came about 160hp at the crank IIRC, and while the power is not there, the car corners extremely well, better than the turbo in the stock setup anyways due to being a little lighter. It will be very similar if not better than a boxster through the corners, you have to remember the car has a 50/50 weight distribution with the engine in the front and the transaxle in the rear. Can you beat him? It is going to depend on what kind of setup he does on the 944NA as far as a turbo goes. A stock 944 turbo runs about 11-12psi boost. A 944NA that has been turbo'd with no internal engine strenghtening is not going to be able to run that much boost without popping the motor, so you will probably be able to take him still. If he goes in and changes the compression and what not, then look out, as he will be able to run more boost. I run about 17psi on my car, and put down 252 to the rear wheels, with virtually no modifications (chip, and a few other minor goodies), so be careful, the cars are very easy to modify. I run a mid to low 13.

Cost wise, he should have just traded his car off and bought a 944T, it would be a lot cheaper to do that, than to add a turbo and go into the engine to strengthen it like he really needs to when adding a turbo. Using used parts and doing the work yourself, I estimate about 3500 absolute minimum to do it properly.

Edit:
So stock 944NA you are going to smoke at the track. You will be able to hang with him in the corners, but you will pull on him in the straights.

Last edited by PorscheDoc; 04-02-2006 at 05:57 PM.
PorscheDoc is offline   Reply With Quote