View Single Post
Old 04-02-2006, 08:23 AM   #4
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Jim,

Is this theory or have you seen lab data on the Boxster wing? Frankly, to me, it look like a POS up and not effective at all.

And, I have no data on it either.
Hi,

I have seen such data, but I cannot remember the source, I may be able to locate it in a day or two, I do remember that the Rear experienced lift in excess of 100 lbs. though.

Be careful about using the word Wing to describe the Spoiler, because that's what it is a Spoiler, these are two distinct things and perform very different functions, the terms are not interchangeable. A Wing is really an inverted Airfoil which generates Negative Lift (DownForce) while a Spoiler slows down the Airflow (or Spoils it) by disrupting it and consequently increases it's pressure. Although the end result - increased Rear-End stability, is the same, it is arrived at using two entirely different methods.

One need only disable the Spoiler and run up to high speed to feel the lightness which the Car's Rear experiences. I do not advocate doing this in Traffic as the Car does become quite unstable. Anyone interested in such an experiment should do so on a Track or at least a deserted stretch of Road...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote