Thread: Seat position?
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2006, 07:23 AM   #1
shumphries

Seat position?

This one has been rolling around in my head for some time...

The boxster seats obviously sit low in the car, to lower the CG among other things I guess. But I like the seat as upright as possible, and I like to sit as high as possible. (I jokingly complained to the dealer when i test-drove my car that I couldn't rest my arm on the door while driving, like I did in my Miata. He said he'd get on the phone to Germany that afternoon and tell the Porsche engineers about that...).

But every time I get my car back from the dealer/service the seats are tilted back and low. I've also read, without explanation or authority, that "tilted back and low" is traditional Porsche driving advice. That said, one Porsche driving school instructor suggested that you should be able to comfortably place your wrists on the top of the wheel--for me at 5'9 that doesn't mean "tilted back and low."

I understand the desire to be as far from the airbag as possible, and that seating position should allow you a relatively unobstructed view of the instrument cluster, and be comfortable of course.

I guess my question is, does seat position just come down to personal preference or are there factors I haven't mentioned here that overwhelmingly suggest one way is right or wrong?
AutoTop & Silver Front Crest
Houston, Texas
shumphries is offline   Reply With Quote