View Single Post
Old 10-05-2014, 06:33 AM   #9
BoxsterLS376

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
best wishes and good on you!

I believe Renegade has done many a 996....very similar gauge pack to the 986. There seems to be very few issues in the gauges working there so hopefully you will be fine

How did you decide upon the LS3 rather than 6 or 7. I guess things to consider are: chassis twist/strength; drive line durability; handling and max tire sizes; drivability; suspension. I would think anything over 500 BHP would be very hard to make use of and scary in a boxster chassis
Yeah I am hoping everything works out, mostly just rewiring some things and adapters for certain sensors etc. but keeping my fingers crossed.

My engine choice was not really based on chassis twist or anything like that as they have a 600 HP LS7 in one and although I don't know the long term effects, seems to handle the power fine. Basically came down to several things but after running through the options it really made sense... let me share my logic...

1. Used LS1 - good motor but low mileage ones from a vette run about $4000 with harness, you could get one from a Camaro then your down to 305 hp and barely worth the effort. I would rebuild and clean it and of course try to get more HP out of it while it was out, figuring I'd probably spend another $1k-$2k easy doing that plus all my time...

2. LS7 Crate motor - Great motor, fantastic internals forged titanium goodness, but the dame thing only makes 505 HP and costs $12,000 so just didn't sit well with the overall project budget.

3. LS6 - old Z06 motor based on LS1 - again too expensive for what you get, people get a premium for them simply because they were only in the Z06.

4. LS3 Crate motor - Brand new, 2 year 50,000 mile warranty, plug in the harness, add gas and go - no time spent rebuilding. 430 hp from the standard motor, but add the GM hot cam and you get 480 HP for about $7500! 25 HP less then the LS7 but $4,000 cheaper! A bit more expensive then rebuilding and modifying a used LS1, but no time spent, brand new and has a warranty!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
I wish we could get a look at some of the directions for this kit ?

I hope you can share some of that with us without any legal infringements
Heh, yeah well if I get some instructions with it i'll let you know!! As I said I have asked a few times now about this and have been told that they have lots of pictures... sooo not really sure what to expect but I'm certainly not going to publish anything here unless they give me the OK, but i'll be glad to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Looking forward to your progress! Thanks for sharing your project. Good luck and welcome to the forum
Thanks Bruce! Nice to see a community of Boxster enthusiasts which seems to be fairly active. I'm on Pelican, LS1 tech and a few others but this seems much better. I'll definitely keep you posted on progress!
Thanks!
J
BoxsterLS376 is offline   Reply With Quote