View Single Post
Old 04-01-2006, 10:27 AM   #1
socratic

Do I have an RMS leak? - pics attached

So when I had my 01 2.7L on the hoist for a brake job and oil change recently, the mechanic mentioned that I had an oil leak. Thinking it might be the dreaded RMS leak, I took a couple of pics so that I could ask the opinion of others here.

The interesting thing is that I had not noticed any leaks on the garage floor last year and when I stored it in a shed for 3 months for the winter and pulled it out, there were no oil spots on the floor in the shed. So any leak would have developed this month. I see a few spots of oil now on the garage floor.

Anyhow, here are the pics. There are 2 pics, one is a rather clean spot near the oil filter. It's clean now because the mechanic wiped it before I took the picture. Before he cleaned it, it was wet with oil.

The other pic is to the right of the 1st spot a bit and has not been cleaned and you can see a darker spot where there is a drip of oil about to drop.

Let me know what you think.

Editted to say: the pics are from the bottom of the car; the bottom of the pic is toward the front of the car (that is, I was facing the front of the car when I took the pictures). The pic entitled "Other-Place" is a bit to the right of the oil pan. Sorry I should have taken a farther wider angle to give you guys perspective.

Last edited by socratic; 04-01-2006 at 10:36 AM.
socratic is offline   Reply With Quote