View Single Post
Old 09-27-2014, 02:33 PM   #37
Qmulus
inveniam viam aut faciam

I know for a fact that here in CO a totalled '03 S with 47k was given a salvage value from the insurance company of $2700. The owner was given the difference between the agreed value of the car and salvage value. If you have the room to keep it, I would recommend it.

I would work hard to find comparable vehicle sales ('04 S with similar options and miles) and do NOT settle until you are satisfied. Do your own homework and document what you find. If you find that that is a fair price for your car, then take it.

My wife was an insurance adjuster years ago, and knew that if you do the work, you will get results. Insurance adjusters want to settle quickly to clear their backlog of claims. If you can give them convincing data that your car is worth X amount, chances are they will take it, especially if you know your stuff and document it. That makes it easy for them to justify settlements to their boss. When we had a driver run a light and total a Blazer we had years ago, she documented comparables and we ended up with over $2500 more than they originally offered by finding actual comparable vehicles to ours, which had some rare options and very low miles.

In the end, you should be in a position to have a car just as nice as yours was at the time of the loss. If you do keep the car, remember that does make it easier for the insurance company as well. They don't have to go to the trouble of auctioning it off to get their money back out of it, etc. That engine is likely worth more than the salvage value of the car alone, so it would be very hard to lose if you keep it.

Last edited by Qmulus; 09-27-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Qmulus is offline   Reply With Quote