View Single Post
Old 03-31-2006, 09:38 AM   #4
Perfectlap

Porsche obssess over weight?

I don't think you've been talking to many 911 drivers.

Even 2004 Boxster actually weighed more than the CaymanS. The new P-car lineup seems to be rectifying the situation as all of the lines from Boxster to Turbo seem to be lighter than their predecessors but that's just putting them back where they should have been all along. I mean how serious can you be about weight when you stick a 50 pound OEM battery in the car when a 15 pound Braile will free up all that extra weight? 30 pound stock 18" wheels??

The cheap interior materials is a clever sheme to get the Porsche owner to pay a nice premium for the materials that should be standard. I don't think its weight saving issue. Black gauges and no silver trim rings in an already Porky $80K 996 Turbo?? Porsche seemed aware that most of its buyers will never go anywhere near a track/autocross so threw out their weight concerns but since getting pounded by other cars like the Zo6 they'll surely go further with the weight reductions on future models. They'll have to either add more power (in a hurry) or lose weight if they are to avoid future poundings like the one in last month's Motor Trend.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-31-2006 at 09:42 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote