View Single Post
Old 09-23-2014, 12:11 PM   #9
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaReed View Post
I feel you. My Boxster has been just a nightmare to keep on the road, and I understand your feelings about wondering if it's worth it to keep. In the first 2 years that I owned my car I did the air oil separator, water tank, starter, IMS and RMS, cooling fans and the fuel pump. I also just had a ROW M030 suspension installed because one of the shocks was totally blown. My car has 124K... I have put about 25K on it.

Getting it to a good shop is key. Ask around with the local PCA in your area. Some porsche shops are much better at dealing with the M96 engines than others.

Good luck!
most of those repairs are typical after 10 years or ~70-100K miles depending on the condition of the roads and if you drive the car in year round extremes of hot or cold weather.

Rule #1 of buying a Porsche is unless it's very low mileage and fairly new, you MUST have a qualified Porsche mechanic inspect it to determine what needs repair so that you can give the car in its present state a proper valuation. Then you need to account for these common Boxster/Carrera repairs many of which will show no signs of needed attention during the inspection, you have to go by mileage and assume that many original parts are hitting their sell by date.

If you jump into one of these cars without inspecting it and go strictly off the mileage and overall appearance you are basically paying the seller's price and leaving no room whatsoever for these common Boxster repairs.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 09-23-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote