View Single Post
Old 09-23-2014, 10:12 AM   #4
austinkthompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by crod View Post
I think your issue is deeper than the car itself. The problem from what you posted so far seems more like someone with not enough knowledge of these cars attempted to fix it to sell (your mechanic). Now all sorts of problems, the ones you know of and the ones you may not know, are popping up.
My 2001 S has been bullet proof and if you get it in the hands of people that know these cars well, you will have no issues in most cases, especially if you take the proactive approach and replace stuff before anything happens. Good examples are replacing the IMS bearing every time the clutch is replaced, get the better water pump/thermostat and so on.
I would start looking for a good independent mechanic in your area. Many people here I bet can recommend you one.

CR
I definitely think you're right. I trust the mechanic to some degree. He specializes in Mercedes, BMW and Audi, sometimes Porsche. But he's certified in only Mercedes. That's why I'm thinking he may not know all too much about the engine. I liked him since he would do repairs for me at a cheaper price or even free. But I don't want to shell out a ton of money on constant repairs for this car over the next few years. There's a company Porsche dealership that I pass on my way to work that I think I'll take my car to and have them do a complete check and let me know what all needs to be repaired.

I still have all of the repair receipts from the 3 previous owners so I have an idea on what's new, what's not and what needs to be replaced. My I'm about to hit the 100K milestone on this car so I think I'll be bringing it in around that time for a full check-up.