View Single Post
Old 09-15-2014, 06:56 AM   #12
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwax View Post
I'll try rephrasing a post that caused an auto-mod intervention.

The car 'feels' right. She wants to go. Just did a late night cool refuel and she was eager to trot. On urbans roads I am a gentle driver but on business runs when I hit the highway I change up at 4-5k and she pulls like a train and wants more. She feels 'right'.

I know this sounds dumb but you get a feel for a motor and this one doesn't feel like she's about to crap out on me.
Your car can certainly be running just fine whilst bad things can be happening inside the engine. In your case, do not mis-interpret a well running engine for an engine that has nothing wrong because you have clear evidence of intermix. How the engine drives or feels is somewhat irrelevant - all it tells you is that whatever problem exists either isn't serious or hasn't had time to affect the overall performance.

But the reality is that the failure has already occurred.

At this point, your goal needs to be to find out the root cause. It could be something as simple and easily repaired as a failed oil cooler (which tends to fail with oil in the coolant but not coolant in the oil, which is a good sign). But it could also be something as bad as a cracked head for which the engine will need to be rebuilt or replaced. Only a thorough inspection and testing from your mechanic can determine which it is.

Thus, you need to get the car into the shop and have your mechanic start to determine where the problem is.

I would not drive it any more than absolutely needed to get it into the shop.

Quote:
I know this sounds dumb but you get a feel for a motor and this one doesn't feel like she's about to crap out on me.
My engine felt 100% normal until the moment that it blew up. They don't always fail gracefully with several indicators that something is wrong. But in your case, you have had two clear indicators that there is a problem (blinking CEL and oil in the coolant).

Let us know how it goes.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 09-15-2014 at 07:04 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote