View Single Post
Old 09-08-2014, 05:34 PM   #10
3RotorRx7

Axle solution

We were shearing these axles very quickly on our FP Boxster that now runs 12" rear tires and wheels. They are 25 spline, I believe. The boxster S has 28 spline, but requires the outer S hub assembly and carrier and the bigger flange on the transmission. I don't know if the flange can be swapped into the 5-speed or not. What I did was use the CV joints on the 2003 Tiptronic axles, which are also 28 spline but will bolt up to the 5 speed trans, and the non-S outer hub assemblies. The outer CV is not rebuild able, but you can cut the factory crimp and use the remaining flange by tapping into the CV and using small screws to reattach it. I used KARTEK 300M 28 spline solid axles, and I think the correct length is 23 1/4" and 21 3/4" but check your measurements as I had to trim down one of my initial axles I had ordered. I enclosed some pictures to show what I am describing. Hope this helps, and we have gone 2 seasons now without any failure. We were going less than 2 events before...

Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmoothlee View Post
I shredded another axle at a local autoX event accelerating over a bump... Im sure launching the 3.4l engine through an unsprung 6 puck clutch dozens of times on 275 rear slicks lowered its life expectancy as well.

So I pulled it down and ordered a CV joint hoping that I ripped the cage apart...but no such luck for me. I actually sheared the axle shaft, with no hope for repair.

I quickly found that no one makes an aftermarket axle for the 2.5/2.7. FEQ ( which is crap ) makes $80 cheapos for the boxster S... but god forbid you need them for a base model boxster, they go for $750!!

Does anyone have some cheap leads? Id go for used if thats all that is available...

3RotorRx7 is offline   Reply With Quote