View Single Post
Old 03-29-2006, 11:32 AM   #6
RandallNeighbour

Here's a non-technical answer since Jim did an excellent job of that...

In my 2.5 liter, I shift around 4000 rpm when the engine is cold and no more than that. When I am at operating temp, I shift a higher into the mid 5000 range, but only when I'm trying to accelerate for fun. I rarely push the car over 6000 rpm because I find I can't stop when I'm revving over 6000 and I'm into the red before I know it!

My mechanic routinely looks at my rev limit counts and scolds me for the sins of previous owners on the first engine. BTW, the ECU records every redline you make over the course of the lifetime of the car and it cannot be erased with the PST tool... now hackers might be able to do it on a PC link, but it's fairly permanent.

When I'm just driving to the store, or out to my office on weekends or whatever, I usually shift to a higher gear around 4000~4800 rpm

I actually try to keep the rpm's down in normal driving conditions just to save money on fuel to tell you the truth. $35 for a fill up is rediculous to me and I know lots of other people on this list pay far, far more for a tank of premium!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote