View Single Post
Old 09-04-2014, 06:57 AM   #1
Swhitcomb

Blown engine. This sucks!

Well, in December of last year, on my 37th birthday, I was finally in a place in life that I could afford a Porsche. Found one liked, a Black on Black 02 Base. Had 61k miles on it. Price was right, and it was in good shape. It was at a dealership that took the crap Scion I had to trade, and financed me on it. Within 60 miles the check engine light went on and it ran like crap. I bought it with no warranty. However, the dealer agreed to repair it. After some issues, they took it to a good European shop and got it fixed. MAF sensor had failed. Over the next several months I drove it, and enjoyed it. However, I couldn't help being afraid something expensive would break. It's a fun toy, not a commuter car. For that, I had a company vehicle. At the end of June, after 10 years, my company took my company vehicle. Suddenly, the Boxster was being driven 110 miles daily. 2 weeks in, I was halfway to work and suddenly it jumped. Had half as much power, and the check engine light went on. I pulled over, and it died. I nursed it home. About halfway home the check engine light began to flash. Should've just had it towed. Got it home and pulled the code. P0343. Cam position sensor fault. I figured the problem was electrical. I wasn't at a point where I had the money to take it to a shop. So it sat. I found a new job with a company car, and got to a point where I could take it to a shop. My wife thought it'd be a $5000 repair. Nonsense I said, it's an electrical issue. $1500 maybe. Well, the same shop who fixed the MAF called me within a few hours of getting it. No compression on cylinder 2, and that was just the 1st one he checked because it was throwing a misfire code on that cylinder. He told me they weren't equipped to do an engine swap, but reccomened a shop that was. I had it towed there. That shop had a 2 week waiting list. So patiently I waited. It had now been 2 months since the car broke. 2 weeks later he calls me. Lots of metal in the oil, car needs a new engine. Wonderful. The car has 64900 miles on it. It's going to cost 14.5k to replace the engine. Bad thing is, with the trade in, I still owe about 15k ok it.

So, when it's all said and done, I'll have a $30000 986 that's worth about 8.5. I am very disappointed and dismayed.

Last edited by Swhitcomb; 12-23-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Swhitcomb is offline   Reply With Quote