View Single Post
Old 08-19-2014, 03:36 PM   #7
Parrot356

Garage
So quick question. What is your thermostat set to? That should have been the techs first question. If it was set for less than 67 or 68, reset it for 69 or 70. Your system is an R-22 system and without a metering device like a TXV it is going to freeze the coil trying to get to 68 or lower in higher humidity locations.

If your stat was set for higher than 68 then there is a chance that you have a leak and/or are low on charge but it has to be small if you are still cooling. The tech should have pulled out a refer sniffer and been able to pinpoint the leak pretty quickly. If you have a leak they are at a joint or on a coil end 99% of the time. So he has to check around the coil connection and at the condensing unit outside.

There are likely state and Federal rebates going for a SEER 16 or 18 unit in your area to help offset the upgrade cost and it should count as a deduct on your fed taxes (I am pretty sure the program is still in place).

If it were me I would have him find the leak and fix it. (But I work in the commercial side of the industry and have guys on staff to do it for me.) If it is in the lineset or coil it is an easy fix. The worst it could be is replacing the coil at your heat pump fan coil (fan in the house). That is a $300-$350 part. Factor in 4 hrs to evacuate the refer, replace the coil and reset the charge and you should be less than $800-850 for the repair. (BTW R-22 wholesale costs is around $20-22/# not $74 or $40 like he quoted and he can reuse the refer in your system and just top it off when he recharges).

That said, at 20 yrs you are at the end of the service life of the equipment and you plan to be there a while so if you have the cash replace it. Be warned that the payback is probably not there based on energy efficiency (probably 7-8+ years in your climate). I assume that the $9888 includes a new heat pump fan coil, new condensing unit outside, new piping between the two, permit, electrical disconnect/reconnect etc, removing and recycling of the old system, warranty and taxes. If that is the case then he is $1000-$2000 high. Really should be in the $7000-$8000 range. The 16 SEER equipment is worth around $4000 (without the ion filter). There is no payback on the 18 SEER BTW. You only use that system because you want to be 'green' and are willing to pay to do it.