View Single Post
Old 03-27-2006, 12:43 PM   #57
RandallNeighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
I guess what I'm wondering is if people are so fearful of such immanent personal threat that they see owning a Handgun as a viable cure? Wouldn't moving to Iowa be at least as reasonable an alternative - I mean if you're that threatened?
I think if I had been victimized in Houston and didn't feel safe to live and work here any longer, I'd pack up my stuff and move to some God-forsaken place like Iowa. Those of you that have actually been forced to drive through that state will wholeheartedly agree with me!

But, my situation is that I must remain in this lousy big city until I retire to Hawaii in 20 years. My organization is located here, I cannot afford to move it and hire new employees; I own my home outright and cannot afford to buy another home of equal value due to the incredible hike in taxes I would pay (my taxes are based on a 1/3 of what my home is worth). Buying a handgun and learning how to use it was far easier than packing up and leaving only to live like a pauper in some corn field.

And that's why I own a 9mm hand gun. I considered a 12 gauge shot gun, but the wife could not lift it and aim it properly... she's just not strong enough.

Downside to the handgun training I gave my wife is that now she can aim it at me when she gets the credit card bill and sees all my boxster-related charges.

One day, I came home from a business trip and she said, "I missed you ... but my aim is getting better."

Be afraid, be very afraid!

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 03-27-2006 at 12:47 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote