View Single Post
Old 08-16-2014, 01:27 PM   #4
BYprodriver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboogins View Post
When I bought my 97 it didn't come with an owners manual so I've always been a little in the dark about some of the gauges. Mostly the one that shows oil level occasionally.
Has hash marks for the high and low marks on both sides. Usually it's dead center between the marks-I assume this is a good sign? (I had the oil changed about 3500 miles ago ).

Yesterday I let me wife drive it to work and she called from the road with a CEL a and said the oil level light stayed on instead of going out in a few seconds. Hmmmm.
Unbeknownst to me she stopped at an auto parts store and had them read the dipstick in the trunk and there was no oil on the dipstick. I'm told that they added a quart of Mobil 1.

Now the Oil light qo all the way to max and the dipstick is wet.

Overfill? What to do about that?
Remove the oil filter housing & dump the oil in it, reinstall it, start the engine, run until coolant temp gauge reaches 180. Turn engine off & wait 20 minutes before checking oil level with dipstick. If level is over 2nd line from the bottom, repeat process until oil level is at or below full mark.