View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014, 02:02 PM   #15
jdraupp

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by newob View Post
Back when I was 16 my landscaping boss gave me some sage advice on how to get out of a ticket. He told me he has been pulled over multiple times and very rarely Gets a ticket.
So here we go:
1. When you see those flashing lights, pull over ASAP, but do it where it is safe for an officer to get out. I.e. if there is no shoulder, pull into a parking lot.
2. Turn OFF the car, put keys on the dashboard, or if you really want to, roll down the driver window and put them on the roof. Shows you are not going to decide to run for it.
3. Roll all the windows down, all the way.
4. Turn on every light there is in the car. Overheads, passenger reading lights, everything.
5. Put your hands plainly visible. I like to put my left arm out the window, and my right hand on my head- not awkwardly just like keep them visible.
I'm gonna out myself as a copper here in hopes I can help some folks with this advice. These five are pretty good. Number one, the most important thing is to pull over safely. If the officer needs to move you, he will. Make sure you pull safely all the way out of the roadway to the right (or left if the shoulder is big enough and its safer to do so). Put your hands on the wheel. You don't need to be too awkward about it, or we think you're a gangbanger that knows the drill.

Quote:
6. DO NOT HAVE YOUR PAPERWORK READY. Keep it buried in the bottom of the glove box inside an old envelope. As soon as you hand him you paperwork he is going to walk to his car with it and write you a ticket, so while you are "looking" for paperwork is when you talk to them
While I'd say this is true, I usually wait until I have all the paperwork before i start talking. I want your undivided attention as I find out what the deal is.

Quote:
7. Don't go with the, oh I didn't know I was going that fast, or I didn't know the speed limit unless it is actually true. If you were speeding, admit it. Say it felt safe in your car. (Higher speeds feel safer in a porsche)
8. Be sincere and pleasant and apologize.
9. If you have a clean driving record, tell them! "I have never gotten a ticket before or been the cause of an accident."
I could care less about driving records, as could many of my colleagues. 19 warnings for speeding won't show up on your record. And they may not show up in my system. Tickets, yes. Warnings, not always. Don't make it seem like your Porsche gives you the right to speed. You'll probably get a ticket. DO be honest. I know why I stopped you and if you're going to assume I'm an idiot and tell me you have no idea why you're being stopped and you were going 55 in that 55 zone, trust me when I tell you, that's the easiest ticket to write. No one likes a liar. Oh and there's bonus points if you ask if you're sure he's stopping the correct car.
Quote:
10. The last thing you say before handing him you paperwork is "sir if there is anyway I could not get a ticket today, I would really appreciate it, I promise I will slow down."
I'm gonna say number 10 is a no. People who have to ask for warnings are likely to get tickets. I say this from experience. You were speeding. The law says you get a ticket. However, if I feel that a warning is all it takes you to slow down a bit, you'll get one. If you have to ask for a warning, I have zero sympathy. Just some friendly advice from a fellow Porsche owner. Be safe out there boys (and girls).
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote