View Single Post
Old 03-26-2006, 09:07 AM   #7
Ronzi

"Hey Ronzi, By "lip" I assume that you mean the rears extend laterally from the fender? Would anyone put on 17's as an compromise of aggressive looks yet, d
decent ride ? What do spacers actually do."

By "lip" I mean there is a 2" extension of the rim that extends out from the center spokes, thus moving the outer rim flange further from the spokes. Usually this is done to widen the wheel without putting all of the increased width on the inside of the wheel and risking interference with suspension commponents.
The 18" factory wheels that I have seen use a different method of accomplishing the same thing. They have a thicker center section with the mounting bolt holes recessed deeply, and the wheel spokes are pretty much flush with the outside wheel flange. I suspect this is a considerably more expensive solution to the problem, which is probably why Porsche uses it.

Certainly using 17" wheels is a justifiable compromise between the 16s and the 18s. They fill out the wheel wells a little better, and have the added advantage (over the 18s) that tires are about $50 apiece cheaper.
From the ride standpoint, I find the 18s a little choppier, but not grossly so.
I put the 18s on the car in the summer, and the factory 17s on in the winter.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote