View Single Post
Old 08-08-2014, 05:56 AM   #12
seningen

I've been messing with Boxsters for 6 years now -- if it wasn't for the collective community knowledge (pros and shade trees) -- I'd have given up long ago.

I fall into the -- well if I have done it I'll pipe up category. Occasionally my mechanic buddy will contact me with symptoms and I get to teach him a thing or two because of something I read up on the boards.... how cool is that!

I hope I don't come off as vague.

I have a very good paying gig, a family, and 9 Porsches to maintain :-)

They all demand time -- and if I was smart -- I wouldn't be wasting my time
reading and posting on forums :-)

Alas, I'm here typing away......

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by linderpat View Post
Good post Gary. I have noticed this too, and have been tempted to raise the same observation. And JFP, for the record, I find your responses always to be very helpful and insightful, and you never are reluctant to step up and offer good advice.

I do however find some of the other gurus on the Boxster boards are often criptic or evasive when responding to questions, not necessarily just as to describing how to precisely fix something, but more so in diagnosing the issue to begin with. The diagnosis is where the true value of these boards are, and if the best and brightest among us hold back because they don't want to let slip their secret sauce contained in their knowledge, then the purpose of these forums is frustrated.

I am a frequent poster on rennlist in the 928 forum (among others). We have some of the icons of those cars from all over the world frequently post there; these are the folks who also earn their living fixing them and designing new and improved bits for them. I never get even a whiff of holding back knowledge with those guys. Not only are they helpful in diagnosing, but they do describe how to fix things, and do share little secrets along the way for doing just about any job on the car. Indeed, I could not own one of those great cars without the advice recieved on the 928 forums. The differences between the professionals posting there and in the Boxster world are noticable on this very subject.
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote