View Single Post
Old 08-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #16
BrokenLinkage

You will need to reprogram after removal of the bar. The car will notice that an item of safety equipment "installed" is not correctly hooked up and thus alert you with a warning light.
On the other hand, if you leave the bar in place, it merely senses that no child seat buckle is fastened and thus leaves the airbag "on."
The bar install is about 5 minutes to loosen the two rear-most seat bolts, remove the 2 forward seat bolts, and replace them with the longer version that accommodates adding the thickness of the child seat bar.
If you are buying the seat bar, make sure to get these high grade longer bolts and do NOT substitute low-grade steel bolts from your local hardware store.
The reprogramming takes less than 3 minutes with a PST2, so you can probably get it thrown in for free if you are paying for some other service.
Also note that in order to add the child seat bar, you will need to remove the trim covering the front of the seat rails. I modded mine to re-install around the bar, but normally you would just leave them off while the bar is installed.
The irony is, after all this effort, I researched and came to the conclusion that my kids were safer with the airbag on, once they were old enough to face forward.
BOL
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote