View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 08:12 AM   #251
will2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL12 View Post
The 2 big sources of engine failure I have heard of:

1) Sleeve Slip Failure - Only on early models which have some engine defects "repaired" (instead of reworked to print). I think 1997 (USA) is the only year you need to avoid for this

2) IMS (intermediate shaft) failure - ALL models up to and including todays

Sadly, this crap is a worry we all must deal with and just hope it never happens. Following subsequent revisions to the design of the engines (minor tweaks/revs) it is clear porsche knows of the defect and its possible affects, yet they make no real acknowledgement and provide on official relief. (Think about what mazda did for almost all the RX8s).

Makes me strongly consider never buying a Pcar again, but the RMR and the label is such a draw

FWIW, I would never buy a 1999 with 20k miles. That is too low - I would almost be more comfortable if it had 40K worry free miles. The 20k milage on a '99 isn't worth the premium at all
-----------
Hello, in response to your comments above: I recently purchased a 2002 Boxster from a Rover dealer in NJ. looks & ran great, 38k, two owner car. car was traded in & received major service for oil seal leak, new clutch, etc from sister Porsche dealer. have copy of $4200 service invoice. important point in decision to buy this car.

6 weeks later, catastrophic engine failure. IMS failure! I have driven many cars totaling almost 2 million miles & have never experienced an engine failure.

fortunately, the dealer included a used car warranty at the time of purchase, so the repair/engine replacement was covered. (fyi - re-manufactured engine was supplied by Vertex in Miami, FL. includes one year warranty from time of purchase, 11 months to me by the time I got the car back).

one week after I got the car back, I needed to return to have the headlight switch repaired/replaced, also covered. so far I have spent $350 on repairs for one remote replacement (key).

both a major failure and incredible luck that it happened under warranty, from a terrific dealer; Princeton Rover. they treated me VERY well. cannot imagine facing the cost of an engine replacement.

I will keep the car for now, but it will probably be both my first & last Porsche.

good to luck to all readers. will2002
will2002 is offline   Reply With Quote