View Single Post
Old 03-25-2006, 09:34 AM   #7
delastrodmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxury1
A few years ago I took some martial arts (Taekwondo) and made it to green but I never want to have to leave the car. Spray and go is my philosophy (or better yet just GO depending on the situation). Plus at an early age I realized that street fighting is very different than tournament fighting especially if there is more than one opponent. I just want to drive in peace

Also, aBsOlUt I know what you are saying about being young. I am also in my 20's and I think that this contributes to the chaos for the exact reason you stated; jealousy.

I also started out with Taekwondo, but found it to be, as you said, unrealistic when related to an actual combat situation. That's why I much prefer Muay Thai and MMA. MT has great "stand-up" aspects, whereas the MMA allows more of a focus on "groundwork" to include grappling, joint locks/breaks/submissions, and control.

Pepper sprays are effective, however, therein lies the problem with using it. Spraying someone while sitting in a car, namely a convertable, wouldn't be a wise decision due to factors such as wind speed and direction. The wind could easily blow the spray back towards your own face. If you're behind the wheel when this happens, one of a few things will happen:

a. you will panic and run over people/plants/animals/unsuspecting street signs
b. you will anger your attacker, who will proceed to beat you up
c. while your attacker and yourself are incapacitated, someone will jack your ride.
d. your attacker may enjoy foods that are very spicy. He/she will think your self-defense attempt is a friendly gift. To thank you for your kind gesture, they will take you under their wing and show you all that a life on the wrong side of the tracks has to offer. You become enticed by the seedy yet glamorous underworld of carjacking. So enticed that you begin a never ending downward spiral of crime and mischief that will end only in your imprisonment or death. (insert montage here)

Sorry, I'm a little wary of pepper spray and tear gas since i was exposed to it in the military. We went through what's called a "confidence chamber" where the whole idea is to learn to appreciate and utilize your protective equipment. The stuff isn't life threatening, but it is highly incapacitating.

But seriously, you could just drive away. Or leave the top up. But by living in fear, you are allowing yourself to be dominated by the lowest form of primate: the arrogant bully.

P.S., Luxury1, you mentioned jealousy, I agree. That, and immaturity.

Last edited by delastrodmen; 03-25-2006 at 09:40 AM.
delastrodmen is offline   Reply With Quote