View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 05:07 AM   #13
crod

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony13ca View Post
I know some of you have purchased a car long distance. How did you handle the payment and title transfer? I'm thinking of buying a car about 30 hours drive away. (Calgary) I'm not sure if I am going to fly out and drive it back or have it shipped to me.
For those of you that have had cars shipped, how did you handle the transfer of the title and the payment. I'm not getting a loan for the car, so the bank can't help me handle it.
Fellow Canadian here. Bought mine in Santa Monica, California and drove it all the way back to Ottawa, ON. Trip of a lifetime and the car ran perfectly. Miss that trip a lot.

I put down a deposit and hired a company to do an onsite inspection of the car and a PPI at a dealer. Everything came out pretty much clean (other than an old MAF, that I replaced before drying back home). Owner put new tires for me, new plastic window, etc. Car was indeed amazing.

Once I got to California we went to the bank so he could get his money and get the paperwork done and he then Fedexed me the title (as it would take 2 days in CA) to Port Huron. By the time I got there the title was waiting for me and as we had faxed it to the border I had no issues doing the import into Canada.

Go and get the car! Drive it back. You will not regret and it will be for sure a great drive.

CR
crod is offline   Reply With Quote