View Single Post
Old 07-27-2014, 07:35 AM   #2
opus69

Buying a 986 is not the hard part. Affording ownership is the challenge. I bought a 2002S 4 yrs. ago with expectations that it would likely need some work It had under 30K mi. This car was in excellent condition for it's age. The only info I could get other than owner's maintenance log was talking to Porsche service tech from last documented service. He said RMS leaked. During the four years of ownership I have replaced the top, all 4 wheel bearings, parts of top opening mechanism, clutch, RMS, IMS bearing, pilot bearing, lower rear control arms, all 4 rotors, brake pads, thermostat, AOS, Various hoses, coolant, LCD face on climate control, engine mount, transmission mounts, 2nd gear detent, wiper blades, two sets of tires, 2 keys w transponders, brake line flush and numerous oil changes. Oil changes alone can be up to $300 at Porsche dealer. If unable to do most of this myself I probably could not or would not afford this car. Was all this absolutely necessary? Probably not. This is a high performance auto and equipment failure at speed is not an option. I have only put a little over 20K mi as a daily driver. Is it worth it? Fortunately I enjoy working on this car and find that doing this maintenance is part of the fun of ownership. Drive one and you will know.
opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote