View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #92
BirdDog

My camshaft deviations were in the 8-9 degree range. I heard chain noise but thought it was probably
that the variocam tensioner paddles were shot. It also had a slight rear main seal oil leak. I sent the car
to Raby Engine Development / Flat-6 to get the variocam chains and tensioners replaced and have
an IMS Solution installed.

During their pre-qualification inspection for the IMS Solution they found very fine black particles in the
lower sump cover and some metal in the oil filter. I had changed my oil and filter less than 100 miles
before this, so this was a HUGE red flag. The black particles turned out to be the main chain tensioners/guides
being chewed up by the main timing chain (the one that runs between the crank and IMS). They tore my engine
down, layer by layer, until they found it. They had never seen this type of failure before. Ever. But they kept
digging until they found it. That attention to detail is why I sent it there. Seriously, I can't say enough good
things about that shop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyed View Post
If you don't mind me asking.....what symptoms did you encounter prior to the timing chain issue being identified?

Last edited by BirdDog; 07-25-2014 at 02:39 PM.
BirdDog is offline   Reply With Quote