View Single Post
Old 07-02-2014, 10:28 AM   #38
kiyakubuke

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Interesting. Knew it would draw a bit more current but to a point of reducing power by almost 1/3 (feels like it anyway) that is a bit harsh. And a news to me for sure. Maybe the 2.5 is not geared for that huge compressor

Fine with blasting the AC on the other cars I have here... feels different for sure but no major power loss as the 986-like.
the electrical power is only engaging the clutch on the compressor. the actual compressing (pumping) is done by the belt that is linked into the engine rotation. so obviously it takes energy to turn the compressor, more so when it is on and pumping freon (about 30hp).
however, 1/3 power loss does seem excessive. could be an issue with the pump or clutch. if it is not working correctly and is more difficult to turn, it could be putting more load on the engine. I would remove the belt, and apply 12V to the clutch wire with a jumper clip. Try to turn it by hand, If it turns moderately easily then the unit is normal. If it is really hard to to turn then the compressor or some other aspect of the AC may be defective.
kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote