View Single Post
Old 03-20-2006, 03:13 PM   #1
wooder

Color as it affects heat

My first post! Is this how you do it? I am looking at a new Boxster S and I live in the Sandhills area of the Carolinas where it do get hot. Really hot. I would like to hear the voices of experience in considering color options. It occurs to me that there are four factors which affect how hot it gets in the interior of the car: the glass area; the color of the top; the color of the body; and the interior color. Here are my questions:

1. Have I omitted any factors? Do I have the factors correctly ranked in order of importance?

2. Does Porsche offer any window tint options? Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, with any dealer installed tints?

3. Does the color of the top have much impact on interior temperature, or is the top so well insulated that the color of the top is irrelevant? If it does matter, what is the correct color ranking for heat gain?

4. How important is the color of the body? How do the exterior colors rank for heat gain, particularly when you get past white and silver? What about the interior colors?

5. How good is the Porsche air conditioner?

6. My area dealers have the following S's with the options I can live with: black exterior, black top and tan interior; seal grey exterior, grey top and grey interior; silver exterior, black top and black interior; and cobalt blue metallic, blue top, black interior. Any thoughts?

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the site. Thanks in advance for any help.
wooder is offline   Reply With Quote