View Single Post
Old 03-20-2006, 08:13 AM   #6
insite

i don't have personal experience with Kumho MX's; people i talk to really like them. as for the sumitomos, i would avoid them like the plague. i used to use them on my RX-7 (10 yrs ago) and really liked them.

i thought i'd try them on my boxster a year or so back. BAD idea. the sidewalls are so soft that minor steering input at higher speeds will cause the rear end to oscillate back and forth a bit.

aggressive corners are hard to describe: i'd turn in and the tire would roll FAR onto the sidewall. then, mid corner, the tire would recoil off of the sidewall like a rubber band; it wanted to throw the back end TOWARD the apex. these things really scared me. i took them off after a couple of days.

i have tried a lot of different tires on the box. my personal favorite in terms of 'bang for the buck' would be the BF Goodrich KDW2. i LOVE this tire at any price, but it's so CHEAP! i'd also get your alignment checked since that can cause cupping, too. since you've had the tires for 2yrs, though, i doubt this is the issue.

one last thing: guys that race these cars a lot will generally get the same size wheels / tires all the way around (usually 245's on 8.5" wheels). that way, they can rotate the tires and get more life out of the set. this would work for road tires, too, although you may need a slightly larger front sway bar to make it handle the same as w/ staggered wheels & tires.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote