Thread: VW GTi
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2006, 02:22 PM   #1
limoncello

VW GTi

I took a test drive today in one of the new VW GTi's with DSG. Really a nice car. DSG was very, very smooth. Handled well, good brakes, even for the track I think. 200 HP and torque about the same. And a sticker of 21,990 plus shipping. Sales manager said he has chipped his Audi 2.0 (same engine) and picked up 40 (?) hp or so for $600. It's not a bad deal. Selling my Box would get a new car with 4 year warranty.

I started down a logic path that said the GTi was a car I could track, there's no broomstick rule 'cause it's a hardtop, it has more legroom that my 6'4" body needs and plenty of room up top for a helmet. It's cheap compared to Porsche, it has no RMS issues, brake pads are affordable, aftermarket wheels are cheaper, etc. etc. etc.

Then I woke up. Driving the Boxster is a homer with bases loaded. I'm not gonna trade it for a VW, even if the GTi is a competent car that will probably sell well.

Question 1: BruceLee: Do dealers understand car enthusiasts? Do they hate us for taking test drives? I really did want to try the DSG. And if the Boxster blows up tomorrow I might actually consider a GTi. Actually the sales manager (combo VW/Audi dealer) had recently tracked the GTi as part of the pre-release familiarization, and was a very decent sort. Most of the salespersons really don't have a clue, though.

Question 2: Anybody: After owning a Porsche, do you ever go back to normal cars?
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote