View Single Post
Old 05-30-2014, 09:44 AM   #31
BYprodriver

Garage
Phil Hill, Ferrari factory driver & 1st American World Champion driver. I took Saleen's entry to Road&Track's "Fastest Car made in America 1995" to the Firestone test track in Stockton TX. Phil Hill was the topspeed driver for all the cars. (Saleen 351 SR, Hennessy Viper, Lingenfelter Firebird Formula, Doug Rippey ZR1 Corvette, Vortech Engineering Z28 Camaro)
6 Years later I was lucky enough to deliver a new MBZ S class to Phil at his home in Santa Monica to drive to Pebble Beach, when I arrived at his house he was prepping his 1935 ish? PierceArrow for display at Pebble. It had won Best-in-show in 1955. Currently on "Chasing Classic Cars" Wayne Carrini goes to this same house that was built by Phil's Father, & drives the PierceArrow. The PierceArrow was bought new by Phil's Family. About 5 years ago I attended Phil Hill's funeral at a church near his house.
His longtime friend Carroll Shelby was there, a Cobra was parked in front of the church along with several other notable classic cars.