View Single Post
Old 05-29-2014, 02:06 PM   #29
JayG
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
I meant that I have never heard of a failure on a car AFTER an owner proactively switched to a new IMS bearing. We've heard stories of a handful but none of those have surfaced in blogs, forums or magazine letters to the technical editor.

Also, take no comfort in any Porsche statistics ( or non-Porsche stats). None of those statistics are complete, they often only include the failures Porsche was alerted to -- an undetermined number failed out of warranty and the ownets dealt only with independent dealership. Neither did the law firm (to my knowledge) that handled settlement disclose the total number of claims they handled. Secondly, the Boxster is not a daily driver for a large % of owners, many of the cars have been sitting and stewing. They are then sold to new owners who drive them more frequently and compromised bearings are not replaced which end up failing. The point being 90% of all Boxsters are not driven and cared for the same. 90% of all Boxsters can probably endure a certain amount of abuse from oil starvation or contamination, but once the bearing exceeds that threshold the previous coin flips have nothing to do with the current coin flip.
Also it's simple engineering logic, a sealed bearing playing a critical role in keeping your engine in tact will not last forever nor is there any benefit in keeping it in there indefinitely.
Fair enough. Your logic makes sense. I thought I might have misread what you were saying

I do agree that the IMS is a problem, just that its not all doom and gloom.
Like I said, when my clutch get replaced, and I have 60k on it now, so I expect it will be in the next 12 months, I will proactively replace the IMS bearing.

In the meantime, it miles of smiles
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote