View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 03:17 AM   #16
fatmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlaan View Post
Hi All-

Looking for a little guidance - am about to purchase a used Boxster and need help in deciding between two models.

The first is a 1999 Boxster base - 34k miles, regular maintenance (not sure if 30k was done). This is the cheaper option

The second is 2001 Boxster S - 39k miles, regular service and receipts for work competed at a Porsche dealer for new alternator, RMS seal replaced, IMS seal checked, 30k service, and other misc. items. This is the pricier option.

Both have recent tires and brakes and wouldn't need anything like that.

Any thoughts on if the maintenance issues of the S should scare me away or make it a more attractive buy? Or would it essentially even out because i'd have to spend some $$ on the 1999 for 30k service anyway?

Since the RMS was done on the S am i good for a while on that, or could that go at any time?

Also, since they are such low mileage, should i be concerned with the IMS and just budget to have the L&N replacement IMS bearing put in?

I know, a few questions, but would appreciate any wisdom as this is my first Porsche purchase and i don't want to sink crazy money into maintenance right off the bat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlaan View Post
Thanks all -

Here is the S i am considering:

If you look at the picture of the maintenance receipt you see the alternator at top, and then the RMS seal replacement and the resealing of the IMS bearing flange.

Language says "approved replaced leaking rear main and intermediate shaft seals" "...replaced leaking RMS and resealed intermediate shaft bearing flange"

Seeing as this was done less than a year ago - safe to assume i'd be OK in those areas?

No, I would absolutely NOT assume the IMS is OK. Quite the opposite. I agree with JamesP -- all they did is look at it...

/