View Single Post
Old 05-27-2014, 08:45 PM   #8
BrokenLinkage

CA PopTop Review

I have the cover depicted. It works well. HUGE difference in interior temps here in the sunny south - and my oem canvas top is grey, not black. Way better on the leather dash & seats, too, with no sun in the side windows. And I can leave the windows cracked in the rain with this top on.
I added a hook for the straps to attach just above the exhaust, out of sight. The whole thing takes maybe 15-20 sec to install, once initially adjusted.
I sometimes use it with the top down, when I just don't feel like exercising the top - it still drains water if tensioned properly. It keeps the bird crap off of the canvas top. My briefcase, if left on the passenger seat, is no longer on display to passers-by
And when the passenger door started allowing water to wet the carpet at the base of the door, the "pop top" stopped this because it stands a bit off the doors and directs the water to fall outboard of the window seal.
If you get one, you may find you actually use it more with the top up. I did. I even use it with the hardtop, sometimes.

Downsides:
1) looks like a giant diaper to me, and I'm self-conscious about conspicuously applying it at work or generally anywhere other people don't feel the need to protect their cars after getting out.
2) the Tyvek material just doesn't look "automotive" to me. Maybe should be made of silverguard
3) the fit is not perfect, especially across the radiused edge of the windshield, and it does not cover the plastic cowl strip housing the wipers, thus still allowing this vulnerable plastic piece to age from UV exposure
4) while it stays on very well in all reasonable conditions, (I think they advertised stability in 70mph winds) I discovered the rotor wash of a JetRanger landing close-by will remove it.
5) Mine is 2.5 yr old, and the material is almost worn out.

In short, I think I'll buy another. It serves a purpose, does it well, costs relatively little (but a lot for the material involved), and takes up almost no space in the trunk. Unlike the full cover, I don't worry much about the car being clean before applying it, since there is little contact with painted surfaces and the material doesn't hold much dirt or move around too much. And I'm not aware of any similar alternatives. But if I had the time, I'd have it remade locally out of Silverguard and custom fitted to cover the cowl area better.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote