View Single Post
Old 05-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #459
Nine8Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightbox View Post
I have a can of factory match guards red paint, unfortunately it isn't high-temp paint. Does that section of the housing experience elevated temps as well? I've also heard the VHT red brake caliper paint is a near-perfect match - maybe I can use that if it is really a close enough match.
I'll be honest I've never bother to measure the temp inside the headlight. Not that it is complicated, just need a probe-style thermometer slipped in the high beam's socket. I am just assuming that being painted black, closed-envclosure, etc, it got to get hot in there on a day or two during the year (e.g. end of July, mid day, 105 degree, clear sky, headlight angled S-W) ouch! lol

Black is the only reason I would go for a reputable high temp spray paint. Yours will be red so temps will never reach those of black.

ps. The key really is the surface prep. I wet-sand the plastic with #600 and leave it in that rough condition for ultimate adhesion Spray paints normally fill that grit just perfectly and leave a 98% near perfect finish/surface. Two coats is often enough. I also degrease the parts to be painted with a commercial degreaser + rinsed in cold distilled water. It's permanent