View Single Post
Old 05-21-2014, 05:07 PM   #245
san rensho

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49er986 View Post
Hello there everyone!

I am a newbie to the site and as a Porsche 986 owner. I have a 98 w 69K. Bought it for 9K it is is immaculate inside and out, feel very blessed. As my luck, Check Engine Light came on the day after I bought it which is actually great timing. I panicked a bit because of all the issues I kept reading about IMS and other failures. So, I consulted with many on where to take my Boxster and sure enough found a reputable shop ready to take my money as a result. They were very helpful and very informative, made me feel like they would take care of me.

They gave me a break on total cost to inspect the vehicle and gave me a print out of what is wrong. I have to replace the water pump and some other items plus they will replace the serpentine belt at that time which is good I'd wager. Total cost of all seven items to be worked on? $2.2K.

What I want to ask is whether or not I should just replace the IMS at the time I do that work? Given what I have seen so far in this thread, it looks like it would cost less do it at that time because of the work being done for the water pump? Is that correct or does it matter? In addition, is there anything else I should do at this mileage threshold?

I am following ALL the positive advice I find on the forum like registering with Porsche for example. I want to baby Heidi (Yea, I christened her). She deserves it so I'm doing all the work plus an oil change. In July, new meats, too.

I still can't believe I'm a Porsche owner, really. She's just so wonderful to drive even though I'm am babying her till the end of the month. Once she comes back, we are driving up HWY 1 on the California Coast.

Thanks in advance for sharing your rolodex of information. I look forward to browsing through more of the forum. Peace.

Here she is BTW:
You have a dual row IMSB bearing which has a failure rate of less zthan 1%, so you have a decision to make, replace it now to make sure you do not fall victim to a very small chance of failure or wait to replace it when the clutch goes, one even not to replace it when you replace the clutch.

My car has a dual row bearing and I'm not doing anything until I replace the clutch.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000