Thread: Maiden Voyage
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2014, 09:13 AM   #10
rastta

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwank View Post
I watched your video but in the interest of consolidation I will post here. First off: NICE CAR! What a smoking deal!

I race a 944 here in the PacNW, have raced the 25 Hours of THill 5 times in an E30, and I instruct locally with ICSCC. I also have a 2001 986S for which I am working on a plan for a full race build. I hope to target ICSCC ST (10:1 wt:rwhp) and NASA GTS3 (11:1) for future 25hr outings. I have a particular interest in your progress as your car is damn close to what I am planning to put together.

To date I have not found any good numbers on similar cars, particularly for tracks in NorCal and the PNW. The few are based on spec Boxster times, which have several comparative deficiencies. Sub 2 minutes in a full race 986S should be quite doable - though I am thinking full race pace.

Do you have any plans to take it racing? Or were you just looking for a new track car for you and your wife? Regardless, a prepared car with all the safety goodies is a big thing mentally, at least it was for me. And all the DE folks in the paddock have got to be super envious of the air jacks!

Congrats... looks like a ton of fun. I will definitely be keeping an eye on your threads and might pop a few questions at you - like what is the rwhp with your setup? Can't wait to see more videos!
Thanks - it was definitely the right choice.

As for lap times - the PCA lists GT3S times for Thunderhill - with 1:58 during practice being the fastest they have on record and 2:02 as the fastest during a sprint race. The 2:02 would be 4 seconds under the fastest lap I've done at Thill so it's certainly doable - but that would be pretty damn quick for me.

I do intend to race at some point - when time and funds allow. Right now I simply want to get more seat time in the car. It was great over the weekend - but I also had two students to instruct - one intermediate and one advanced (advanced was in a modified Cayman R), my wife to deal with and assisting with running the 2 day event.

I need to get it out and spend the whole day just driving - no other distractions.

The dyno sheet included with the car showed 310whp - but not sure on what octane - since he always ran 100 or higher - I'm going to assume 100. Scale/corner balancing readings showed 2536lbs IIRC.
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote