View Single Post
Old 03-11-2006, 09:46 PM   #4
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
How can I tell if I have glazed them? I drove the car to work today and used the brakes 10 times,worked fine everytime with no problems.
Hi,

You're probably OK then. But, still avoid standing on them for 50 or so miles. Don't feather them either as this can be just as bad. Just brake purposely and steadily and go through several heating/cooling cycles to make sure they're thoroughly off-gassed.

A Funny story... several years ago there was an Open Track Day at BIR several hours away. I decided to bring my 240Z up along with a Buddy who had a Lotus Elan+2. I decided to swap the Pads for some new Race Pads I had.

Race Pads Bed-in much quicker, so I thought the drive there would be sufficient. Anyway, once there, you got into a rotation which allowed you 6 Hot Laps and then you came in to wait rotating out again. I pulled into Pit Lane, got out of the Car, pulled off my Helmet, and was walking to the Paddock when someone called "Hey, is that your Yellow Car? - It's on Fire!"

I turned and saw smoke and Flame coming from the Right Front Wheel. I grabbed a bucket of water which was sitting there and dousing the Wheel put out the flame. It turned out that I had ignited the Paint on the backing of the Pad from the heat generated. Fortunately no damage, except to my Fruit of the Looms!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote