Thread: Maiden Voyage
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2014, 07:44 AM   #6
rastta

So to elaborate a bit on the weekend. Weather was great both days - about mid 70's but very windy on Saturday and a bit warmer on Sunday with a bit less wind. I took it easy out there for the first session early in the am since it was a bit cool and I had no idea what to expect from the Advan slicks on the car. They had 2 heat cycles in them when I started.

The car is amazingly easy to get used too - although it is very stiff and pretty unforgiving. The biggest thing for me was clearing all past muscle memory from driving the track. I've done many sessions on this track in the S4 and while I constantly look to refine corner entry points, braking thresholds etc. - I had to be mindful of the differences in turn-in and braking in the Boxster.

I was a bit concerned about the car's setup going into the weekend - with the 700/800 f/r spring combo and larger swaybars. I had reviewed the rebound and compression settings on the Moton's and figured they'd be a good place to start. Same with the bar settings. My concerns were unwarranted once I was out on track though. The car was pretty much dialed in and I made no suspension adjustments over the weekend. My wife felt very comfortable in it as well. The original owner was meticulous in setting up the car and taking notes and it paid off.

I had one incident on track - with the rear wheel contacting the inside curbing exiting T15 and it kicked the rear of the car out pretty suddenly, resulting in a nice half spin and resulting all 4 off on the outside. I've hit that thing many times in the S4 and never had a problem - note to self - avoid the tall curbs.

Last but not least - I blew sound on Sunday am at 107 decibels. The car is LOUD and I thought we were under the 103 limit since we didn't get meatballed on Saturday but apparently their sound equipment wasn't functioning correctly. I did have a couple Supertrapps the previous owner provided and put them on - it did allow us to pass sound at 96.5 dB but cut the power quite a bit in the higher rpms so I'll be getting mufflers put on - as it currently has two small resonators and 3" straight pipes. This should allow me to pass sound and then use the supertrapps to get to the 90dB limit at Laguna in the future.

Overall I was throughly impressed with the car. It was everything I hoped it would be. It was fast and sharp and I only got to know about 50% of it's capabilities over the two days. We put 12 sessions on her between myself and my wife and all she did was impress use more each session. I've got a couple vids that i'm editing and will post em when I finish. Nothing spectacular as I was driving at about 6/10's or so. As a comparison - I'd run 2:05-06's over the top at Thill in the S4 and I was turning 2:15's in the Boxster. Based upon my initial assessments - I think it will be good for very low 2 minute laps.
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote