View Single Post
Old 05-10-2014, 08:30 AM   #1
Gelbster

Cayman 3.4 engine into Boxster S 3.2

Just a noob with a pitiful request for guidance to info.
I just bought a 2001 Boxster S 6 speed manual trans.Previous owner spent lot$ with Pelican for upgrades/parts. The engine developed awful rod knock within a few days of purchase!Babbitt bearing(?) swarf in the oil pan and spin-on filter. A rebuild will cost more than I paid for the car .Very depressed.
A sympathetic buddy found me a 2006 Cayman 3.4 Tiptronic engine with only 8000 miles for only $3000 with all ancillaries but the DME -it is for a Tiptronic and mine is a 6-speed.
Got Bentley, Wayne's book ,read all I can find on this engine conversion .It seems all I need according to Wayne's helpful write-up is:
1. 7.8 DME & modify the pin-out of the connector on the Cayman motor.But is it really that straightforward?
2. ABS controller & connector from a 3.4 Cayman
3. My flywheel +clutch +6 speed trans will fit O.K.??
I already have the trans. out of my 'dead' car and was about to drop the engine & start tearing in to the knocking engine when the Cayman alternative was offered.Yes, I do all my own wrenching but complex electronics is an alien world for me.
Please tell me what I should do -rebuild or do the swap?
I already have a 'delicate' situation with the wife because of the money pit I have stupidly bought, so I don't want to screw things up further by installing an engine that won't work or produce a car w/o ABS ...I don't need a detailed explanation(although that would be great!). Just point me in the right direction. As I said ,I've got Wayne's piece just about memorized because I have read it so many times!
Either way it will make a great write-up for this Forum.

Last edited by Gelbster; 05-10-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote