View Single Post
Old 03-10-2006, 01:57 AM   #9
blinkwatt

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Talking

When I first started looking for my first car to buy I was ready to jump onto and "deal" I could get,but then I cleared my thoughts. All the cars I were looking at(Z3,TT,90s 911,SLK 230 and the Boxster) were alot to maintain if I paid someone else to do it. Example on a Boxster,dealership charges $180 for oil change,it is a simple diy for $70 in parts. Dealership wanted $750 for a new Mass Air Flow Sensor and installation. I bought the part for $230(986online) and installed it in 15 minutes. I bought my 99' Boxster knowing that its reliability rating was decent but not the best(98' were rated among the best in reliabilty). All problems so far have been due to a K & N air filter installed by the previous owner,which were fixed for only $260(MAF and air filter). My car came with a decent amount of options but as I joined forums and saw more Boxster up close I noticed little options I wanted to put on the car. Small things like the mushroom shift knob and plain black leather(base) went out the first moment a great deal came across me,now the aluminum shift knob and hand brake are installed. If you can learn to do alot of the maintainence yourself and buy an OBD II reader($50-200) a Boxster is a relatively cheap car to maintain.Find a color combo you like,one that feels right,and one that has been maintained. Keep us informed.