View Single Post
Old 04-17-2014, 05:56 PM   #7
The Radium King

yeah, and most places i've seen that list have drawn the info from the same source, where the oil temp had a '?' beside it. if you stop and think, all the things monitored on that list, with the exception of the oil temp, is related to the hvac system (coolant temp is used to turn the front fans on and off). for proof, the hvac piece is an audi component, and if you do some poking around on audi websites you can find out what all the various codes mean. no oil temp.

there's a few threads on oil temp monitoring on this forum (and pelican, and rennlist) and a lot of disagreement. some say the oil temp info you get from the durametric is actually a value extrapolated from coolant temp (the oil is cooled by the cooling system). there is also an oil sensor on the oil level sensor (four wires; two for oil temp and two for oil level) but some say that this is only used correct oil level readings. i did try to get a reading from the sensor to see if i could jack a signal from it for an oil temp gauge but it doesn't seem to use a common scale (ie 240-33, etc.).

what most folks do is add an oil temp sensor - there are blank plugs on the heads that you can remove to install a sensor - search this forum for images that show exact location. install a 996 oil pressure sender at the same time and you can have oil pressure readings as well.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote