View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 07:51 PM   #20
linderpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I have bought a few cars remotely. Contact the seller and get as many photos as you can. Look at them carefully and with discernment - looking at the reality of the condition, not with that wishful glance of an overexcited buyer.

Then hire a local mobile mechanic to perform a PPI and test drive the car for you. They will send you a detailed report along with the driving impression. This is easier in larger cities than in rural areas.

If everything checks out, send payment and hire a transporter to get it home! Easy as cake.
This^^^

I bought my Box from a guy on the other side of the country, sight unseen, but with an independant ppi. Perfectly happy with it. I get a good sense of the seller by talking to him = I place more trust in car guys - people who know the car and know what they are talking about. I bought my current 928 this way too. I shipped the boxster (enclosed, with a reputable line), but I flew out and drove the 928 cross country - 2000 wonderful miles. An earlier 928 that I bought from a long distance sight unseen looked great in the pictures. It was a dealer sale, though, and the car was a peice of ******************** when I got it. It was shipped (had I gone to see it in person, I would have walked away from the deal). Anyway, I completely refurbished it - spent gobs of money and time on it, and it was near perfect when I sold it to a friend.
78 5 spd 928 Blumaxx (in Hemmings S & E issue #100)
85 928S garnet red stock daily driver
06 Mustang GT Legend Lime and modified to go even faster
linderpat is offline   Reply With Quote