View Single Post
Old 03-22-2014, 03:40 PM   #268
scary
97 Boxster 986

Need a good knowledgeable 97 Porsche Boxster mechanic in Riverside county, CA

I am not a professional mechanic but for sure have an aptitude and not totally consumed time wise either but my handicapped is that I am not equipped with proper tools.
Most likely the problem is cam chain and guides according to my self diagnosis which is as follows:
The engine has been making faint screeching noise initially on cranking for several months. ( procrastination not ignorance on my behalf )
Starting the engine gradually would require few cranks ( I changed the starter motor- problem persist )
Rough idling and engine cutting off on low rpm every time I would come to a stop (5 speed trans ).
Now it needs ATTENTION... why, because CEL shows up and something must be done before the SMOG check creeps on me
Got checked on scanner found out one side is miss firing or not firing at certain times.
After evaluating all these gradual conditions and deterioration I figured the culprit has to be the cam chain rattling due to the possible wearing of plastic guides and loosening the chain which causes the timing to go off.
I need a mechanic that won't sizzle my skin or require my first born. Maybe I can work with them at their convenience and make it our little project. Please advise and help.
pardon my netiquette since I just joined the forum today and this is my first post.

Shahab Khairi
scary is offline   Reply With Quote